7686a660d683a104f66af1c1ca51df4a.jpg
433b66af36194dd53fadc7afe446ccaa.jpg
17c0e7fd2057234c5a3e47a8e45a01e9.jpg
93f8d58a3395633c939f23bdbd72f796.jpg
  • REGIONS
  • BEACHES
  • HOTELS
  • SIGHTS
  • BUSINESS
  • BOOK ONLINE
  • BENITSES
    Cosmopolitan tourist resort with international fame, Benitses is for many travelers to why...

    Read more

  • PALEOKASTRITSA
    Paleokastritsa is the most famous tourist resort of Corfu. This is an area of unique beaut...

    Read more

  • SIDARI
    Sidari is arguably the seaport of northern Corfu benchmark for every visitor. Located 32 k...

    Read more

  • DASSIA
    The seaport of northeastern coast. Located 13 km from the city and in an area full of oliv...

    Read more

  • PERAMA
    Perama is a popular seaside tourist resort located in the southern part of the island, opp...

    Read more

  • CANNON
    The Cannon is the most photographed site on the island. 4 km south of Corfu Town and is on...

    Read more

  • GOUVIA
    After Kontokali at a distance of about 9 km from the center, we find Gouvia. It is a popul...

    Read more

  • AGIOS GORDIOS
    Agios Gordios is one of the busy tourist settlements of southwest Corfu. It is 16 km from ...

    Read more

  • GLYFADA
    The beach of Glyfada is one of the nicest in Corfu. Located 16 km west of the city and ext...

    Read more

  • ACHARAVI
    Another tourist resort of Corfu, located in the northwestern tip of the island at a distan...

    Read more

  • MORAITIKA
    Coastal village located 20 kilometers south of the city. The area is characterized by the ...

    Read more

  • KAROUSADES
    In the northwestern part of the island, 40 km away. about the city meet the village Karous...

    Read more

SIGHTS

Esplanade

(0 votes)
Written by 
on 22/04/2013

The larger, livelier and more impressive square of the Greek landscape is the result of military fortifications of the Venetians to protect the city during the 17th and 18th centuries.
In the large open space of Esplanade, you can see:
• The Maitland Peristyle of the southern end of the Esplanade one plain, round, Ionic, a monument erected in honor of the first English Commissioner Thomas Maitland (1816 - 1824), despite the fact that the term was one of the hardest and darkest for the Ionian Islands.
• The type of monument as peristyle was very popular in the season. It is the work of the English military engineer G. Whitemore who designed the Palace of Michael and St George, built by Maltese stone. The sculptural decoration is of Corfiot sculptor Prosalendis. You will hear the call and "cistern", as the monument covered up an older Venetian cistern.
• The Union Square with Palka, where Easter is celebrated the Resurrection operation and given concerts by orchestras, while slightly below the Memorial Union of the Ionian dedicated to the Union of the Ionian Islands with Greece in 1864. Engraved on it are symbols of all the Ionian islands.
In the square in front of the bridge leading to Old Fort, are the statues of Soulenmpourgk and Guildford. The marble statue of the German Marshall Soulenmpourgk (Mathias von der Schulenburg) is the work of sculptor Corradini and erected in honor of Marshal, whose contribution was decisive in the defense of the city prevented the Turks during the siege of 1716. The statue is made of Carrara marble by the Italian sculptor Antonio Gorradini. At its base there is an inscription in Latin, which refers to the general battle against the siege of 1716 and the creation of the statue that same year. The second statue honors philhellene lord Guilford, Frederick North (Frederic North 1766 - 1827), who rebuilt the Ionian Academy, the period of residency Adams which became important cultural institution of the city for the first time introduced the Greek language and worked for 40 years (1824 - 1864), until the Union of the Ionian Islands with Greece.
Doric colonnade in front of the Palace and George Michael is a bronze statue of Lord Frederick Adam, one of the most famous British Commissioners, known for major technical projects implemented for the city, including the aqueduct. The statue is the work of sculptor Paul Prosalendis the characteristic movement of the hand of the statue in the water that falls on the small lake that surrounds it refers to the great technical work, the British Commissioner bequeathed to the city.
Much of the square occupied by the cricket. The love of Corfiot cricket team play British origin has naturally rooted in the period of British rule (1814-1864).

More in this category: « Town Hall Square Liston »

 

GALERY

Like !