7686a660d683a104f66af1c1ca51df4a.jpg
433b66af36194dd53fadc7afe446ccaa.jpg
17c0e7fd2057234c5a3e47a8e45a01e9.jpg
93f8d58a3395633c939f23bdbd72f796.jpg
  • REGIONS
  • BEACHES
  • HOTELS
  • SIGHTS
  • BUSINESS
  • BOOK ONLINE
  • BENITSES
    Cosmopolitan tourist resort with international fame, Benitses is for many travelers to why...

    Read more

  • PALEOKASTRITSA
    Paleokastritsa is the most famous tourist resort of Corfu. This is an area of unique beaut...

    Read more

  • SIDARI
    Sidari is arguably the seaport of northern Corfu benchmark for every visitor. Located 32 k...

    Read more

  • DASSIA
    The seaport of northeastern coast. Located 13 km from the city and in an area full of oliv...

    Read more

  • PERAMA
    Perama is a popular seaside tourist resort located in the southern part of the island, opp...

    Read more

  • CANNON
    The Cannon is the most photographed site on the island. 4 km south of Corfu Town and is on...

    Read more

  • GOUVIA
    After Kontokali at a distance of about 9 km from the center, we find Gouvia. It is a popul...

    Read more

  • AGIOS GORDIOS
    Agios Gordios is one of the busy tourist settlements of southwest Corfu. It is 16 km from ...

    Read more

  • GLYFADA
    The beach of Glyfada is one of the nicest in Corfu. Located 16 km west of the city and ext...

    Read more

  • ACHARAVI
    Another tourist resort of Corfu, located in the northwestern tip of the island at a distan...

    Read more

  • MORAITIKA
    Coastal village located 20 kilometers south of the city. The area is characterized by the ...

    Read more

  • KAROUSADES
    In the northwestern part of the island, 40 km away. about the city meet the village Karous...

    Read more

SIGHTS

Town Hall Square

(0 votes)
Written by 
on 22/04/2013

Was the most important social square in the years of Venetians. H Gallery of Eugenia, the Loggia, worked in the space now houses the Town Hall. It was built in 30 years (1663-1691) from the best material: stone Sinion.
There he was meeting the cream of local society and then in 1720 the gallery became the first opera in the East. Taking the name of the nearby Catholic church of St. Mitropolitikis Iakovou, the theater of San Giacomo gave impressive performances Italian opera for two centuries.
The 1903 the theater moved to the area and added another floor, inaugurating its current use. The two main sides are decorated with stone masks and various historical inscriptions and symbols. The emblem of Corfu appears above the main entrance and fitted bust of Gen. Francesco Morosini the virtues and achievements of a Latin inscription on the east side. The 17th century. built both the Catholic Cathedral and the Archbishop of the Latin house which once functioned as a court, now home to the Bank of Greece.

 

GALERY

Like !